- Represented the lender affiliate of Cerberus Capital over a 5-year period in the wind-down of that affiliate’s multiple real estate projects in Florida where it had become a successor developer. The scope of representation included the settlement of multiple complex litigation matters in 3 Florida counties involving the original developer and its principals, the projects’ contractors and suppliers and multiple condominium associations. Mr. Angelo also handled the client’s real property tax challenge with the Miami-Dade County Property Appraiser where the value of this project was reduced by over $80 million due to the presence of Chinese Drywall.
- Lead member of legal team that represented Wells Fargo in the recovery of over $13 million in structured collections from multiple wrongdoers in fraud case related to a luxury condominium project in Miami Beach.
- Brought an eminent domain action against the City of Sunny Isles Beach for a retail shopping center owner and settled this action for $7,000,000, plus additional benefits. The City’s original offer on the property was for $1,834,225.
- Successfully joined the surviving wife and other affiliated entities of a deceased debtor as third party defendants in a fraudulent transfer action where the debt owed to the firm’s client was in excess of $24 million, and achieved a multimillion recovery for client where the estate was deemed initially to have minimal assets.
- Was lead attorney for Regions Bank in a $30 million state court foreclosure case against developer and guarantors of high rise mixed use residential and retail condominium project in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and assisted with related confirmation of Chapter 11 Plan for lender and the assignee of the bank’s loan.
- Represented a large privately-held pharmacy benefit management company in an action for malpractice against an actuary relating to work performed by that actuary for the computation of premiums for the client’s Medicare Part D plans.
- Brought an action for business slander and libel against a client’s competitor in the prescription drug card business for statements made to public officials and reached a confidential settlement in that action.
- Represented owners of Bahia Mar Resort and Yachting Center in the $135,000,000.00 refinancing of the resort.
- Represented Sophia Enterprises, LLC and TRD of Fort Lauderdale, LLC in negotiating and closing the sale of 435 S. Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard for $18.7 million and the acquisition of a 18,535 square foot beachfront retail building and adjacent parking lot at 201-213 S. Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard for $32 million.
- Was lead counsel to buyer in its acquisition of a 4,200-unit rental home portfolio for the sale price of $402 million. The portfolio included homes in Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Kansas and Tennessee.
- Represented Black Marble E 2013, LLC, in the $180,000,000.00 refinancing of The Miami Beach EDITION hotel in Miami Beach, Florida. The EDITION is an elegant design hotel located at 2901 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, Florida and has 294 individually designed guest rooms and suites, including 28 private bungalows.
- Represented developer in all aspects of developing property to construct a 3-phased multifamily/condominium project with 850 units in downtown Fort Lauderdale over a 10-year period.
- Represented a large privately held company in acquiring 79 acres of real property in Hialeah, Florida; performed all relevant due diligence in connection therewith; negotiated and structured both construction and permanent loan facilities to finance the construction of a 1 million square foot warehouse/distribution facility on such property. Obtained a multi-faceted governmental incentive package in an amount exceeding $15,000,000.
- Assisted a large developer in negotiating and closing the acquisition of a 2.88 acre parcel located in St. Petersburg, Florida and closing a $85,650,000 construction loan.
- Represented the seller of two self-storage facilities in negotiating and closing the sale of those facilities for $55,000,000.
- Represented a subsidiary of Qatar’s largest development company in the purchase of The St. Regis Bal Harbor Resort for $213 million in Miami-Dade County.
- Represented the buyer in negotiating a $300 million purchase contract for the acquisition of a 2,200 unit, six property Class A multi-family residential portfolio and supervised related due diligence.
- Represented the seller of 2 acres of beachfront land in Broward County for an amount in excess of $28,000,000 per acre, the highest per acre price in Broward County history.
- Represented American Land Ventures in connection with a 529 unit, 3-phased condominium development on the St. John’s River in Jacksonville, Florida, including the negotiation of construction and mezzanine financing, joint venture and partnership agreements and other project documents.
- Represented a British hotel company in its disposition of eight hotels located in Florida and Texas for an aggregate sale price of $62 million.
- Has represented various national financial institutions in the disposition of large and varied types of properties in their REO portfolios.
- Complex restructuring of loan portfolios for South Florida homebuilders where loan balances were in excess of $500 million.
- Represented a British banking institution to structure a $500,000,000 credit facility to Bancomex (Mexican Ex-Im Bank) to finance Mexican exports to the United States and Canada.
- Represented a domestic banking institution to structure and close a $200 million syndicated loan to finance the construction of the Dolphin Mall in Miami, Florida.
- Represented the agent bank in closing a $208,000,000 construction loan to finance a 1,000 unit high-rise luxury condominium project, known as The Plaza at Brickell.
- Represented a domestic banking institution as agent bank in a $93,000,000 syndicated loan for the construction of a condo-hotel project in Doral, Florida.
- Represented a domestic banking institution, as agent, in connection with a $160,000,000 syndicated construction loan to construct the 47-story Mansions at Acqualina Condominium in Sunny Isles Beach, Florida.
- Represented a large privately held South Florida company and its principals to effect a merger with a strategic partner where the combined annual sales of the two companies exceed $1 billion; structured and negotiated a $200 million syndicated credit facility for the combined entity and assisted in the restructuring and implementation of a new letter of credit facility for the company’s importing of goods from the Far East.
- Represented Taurus Holdings in acquiring the assets of Heritage Manufacturing, a manufacturer of single action revolvers.
- Represented a long distance telecommunication wholesaler in acquiring the assets of a competitor with a call center in the Philippines.
- Represented the owners of a privately held waste company in a stock sale of the company to Allied Waste.
- Represented individuals in their acquisition of a medical equipment business in South Florida and negotiated non-competition agreements in connection therewith.
- Represented multiple sellers of private jets in all aspects of sale transactions, including formation of the ownership entities, registration of aircraft and related financing.
- Represented the owners of multiple restaurant locations in negotiating management ancillary agreements with Caesars Entertainment, Seminole Hard Rock and Atlantis, as well as multiple partnerships throughout the United States.
- 1987: J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
- 1984: B.A., Georgetown University, Phi Beta Kappa/Magna Cum Laude
- Florida Bar
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees (2003-2006), Fort Lauderdale Museum of Discovery and Science
- Vice Chairman (2007 – Current), Board of Trustees, Fort Lauderdale Museum of Discovery and Science; Chairman of Private Partnership Committee; Co-Chair of $25 Million Capital Campaign
- Member of the Executive Committee, United Way Alexis de Tocqueville Society for Broward County
- Chairman, Georgetown University Admissions Alumni Program, Broward County
Awards & Recognition
- Winner of Daily Business Reviews Top Dealmaker of the Year in the category of Multifamily for 2016.
- AV Rated for Martindale Hubbell since 2004.
- Recognized as one of South Florida Business Journal’s Heavy Hitters in Commercial Real Estate – Lawyers for 2013.
- Listed, Legal Elite, Florida Trend Magazine, listing of Florida’s top attorneys as selected by their peers for years 2007 – 2018.
- Recognized as one of South Florida’s “Top Lawyers in Real Estate and Corporate Law” for the years 2005 – 2018 South Florida Legal Guide.
- Recognized as one of Florida Super Lawyers in Real Estate for 2008 – 2018.